The importance of eating five servings of fruits and vegetables has been discussed by many people many times before, but this will serve as added reminder of how fruits and vegetables can help to reduce cancer risk. Today the Dr. Oz show discussed how eating optimally can prevent cancer by at least 30% by helping to better remove toxins from the body and can even change the behavior of your genes.
The Tumor Torpedos: 3 servings a day of whole grains – they’re loaded with fiber, which helps carcinogens move through the gastrointestinal tracts.
The Commando Foods: 1 serving a day of fish, other Omega-3s, soy, edamame.The Fire Fighters: Herbs and spices like turmeric, cinnamon, garlic – they have anti-inflammatory properties, are anti-microbial, and help our immune system. When you chop garlic, it turns into a potent anti-cancer chemical when mixed with the air. So chop the garlic ahead of time to expose the anti-cancer enzyme to the air. Try to eat a head of garlic a week.
Here’s some of the anti-cancer vegetables, fruits, & whole grains:
- dark leafy greens
- tomatoes (best if cooked with olive oil)
- carrots (cook lightly with olive oil)
- sweet potatoes
- broccoli (don’t overcook it b/c it might actually inactivate some of the healthy properties)
- peppers: bell, jalapeno
- whole grains (bread, pasta, tortillas)
- salmon (when you cook salmon, cook on low heat because overcooking the fish can actually reduce the omega fast by as much as 30%).
- walnuts (eating just 12 walnuts a day is sufficient – they’re rich in antioxidants and omega 3s).