Not only are sweet potatoes delicious, they contain phytonutrients that promote heart and eye health, are loaded with beta-carotene and Vitamin A, and help to boost immunity. Sweet potatoes are also said to be produced with less pesticides than regular potatoes. We tried Frugal Foodie’s recipe for roasted sweet potatoes with thyme and loved it!
Here’s the easy, healthy, and affordable vegan sweet potato recipe by Frugal Foodie:
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons grape seed or olive oil (or whatever oil you like to use for baking)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (double the amount if you want them a bit on the spicy side)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF.
- Cut the potatoes into 3/4-inch chunks. Chop off and discard the ends, but do not peel them (after giving them a good rinse of course!).
- Pour 2 tablespoons of the oil into the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch glass baking dish, or similar size baking pan.
- Toss in the sweet potatoes, and sprinkle them with the thyme, salt, red pepper, and garlic.
- Drizzle the remaining oil over top, and stir the potatoes until they are well coated with the oil and spices.
- Bake the potatoes for 35 to 45 minutes, depending on your desired tenderness. Be sure to check in every 15 minutes and give them a good stir to ensure they cook evenly.