A delicious way to add protein and fiber to your dinner plate: black bean tacos! We had this for dinner the last two nights. The first day you have to put in a bit more effort since you have to cook the beans (and more so if you decide to make homemade tomatillo sauce). But the second night, you hardly have to do anything. For $2 we bought the most beautiful, fresh and large lettuce from Local Roots Farm. Those folks never disappoint. And look at these tomatoes! We bought the low-acid variety.
We used this incredibly satisfying roasted tomatillo salsa recipe courtesy of Pink Parsley. Seriously, we never thought we’d be capable of making our own, but we did and it came out so creamy, almost buttery, and the perfect flavor. If you have the time, it’s worth a try making your own salsa at least once. Tomatillo before:
These ingredients will make 8 large tacos:
- 8 whole wheat tortilla
- 1 1/2 cup black beans
- 1 head lettuce
- 2 locally grown tomatoes
- Quarter of red onion
- Tomatillo sauce (homemade or store bought)
- Soak beans overnight (our preference).
- Cook beans on low simmer for 2 hours.
- Wash and chop vegetables.
- Heat tortilla on each side on pan for a few seconds.
- Put vegetables on tortilla and top with salsa. Enjoy!